- S. Aslan, C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, and E. T. Turhanli. Exploring visual dictionaries: A model driven perspective. In Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 49, pp. 315-331, 2017. [ publisher site ]
- C. B. Akgul, D. L. Rubin, S. Napel, C. F. Beaulieu, H. Greenspan, B. Acar. Content-Based Image Retrieval in Radiology: Current Status and Future Directions. Journal of Digital Imaging, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 208-222, 2011. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. Similarity Learning for 3D Object Retrieval using Relevance Feedback and Risk Minimization. Int. Journal of Computer Vision, Special Issue on 3D Object Retrieval, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 392-407, 2010. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. 3D Model Retrieval using Probability Density-Based Shape Descriptors. IEEE Trans. on PAMI, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1117-1133, June 2009. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. Density-Based 3D Shape Descriptors. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2007, Article ID 32503, 16 pages, 2007. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, A. Akin. Extraction of cognitive activity related waveforms from functional near infrared spectroscopy signals. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 44, pp. 945-958, November 2006. [ publisher site ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, A. Akin. Spectral analysis of event-related hemodynamic responses in functional near infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Computational Neuroscience, vol. 18, pp. 67-83, January 2005. [ publisher site ]
Talks and Whitepapers
- 3D Object Retrieval - A lightweight version of my thesis presentation.
- Correspondence-free rotational alignment for 3D shapes - An exact rotational alignment approach leveraging symmetry properties of regular polyhedra and its approximate version.
- Industrial Surface Inspection - A modest compendium of industrial surface inspection applications and associated challenges, thoughts on a framework handling such problems without emotional involvment.
- Mining MR Image Data for Image-based Diagnosis of Dementia - A data-analytic feature discovery and learning approach to image-based diagnosis.
- Applications with Kinect - A sampling of diverse applications using Kinect.
- Data Mining: Fundamental Concepts - An introductory talk I gave during Urban Datascope.
- Machine Learning Models for Action Recognition - A survey that I prepared for DemAAL 2013 Summer School.
- Computer Vision and Other Tales - An introductory talk on computer vision and entrepreneurship I gave to high school students in Sabanci University Summer School.
- Gorsel Tanimada Derin Ogrenme - An introductory talk on deep learning and visual recognition I gave during OBAYO 2016 (in Turkish).
- Data Mining for Visual Recognition A Deep Learning Primer - An introductory talk on data mining and deep learning-based visual recognition I gave at MEF University Big Data Analytics Programme.
- Yapay Zekanin Yeni Caginda Duyular ve Yaraticilik - A talk on perception, creativity and AI I gave in a Curiuous Community event.
- How Data Science Can Help Design - A talk I gave on the potential uses of Data Science in design processes.
- Automating Retail with Visual AI - A talk I gave at Global AI Bootcamp in Microsoft Turkey.
- Intel and Vispera ShelfSight: Effective On-Shelf Inventory Management for Grocers - A whitepaper I co-authored with Dr. Erdem Yoruk (Vispera) and Dr. Farhaan Mohideen (Intel UK).
C. B. Akgul, A. Ekin. Relevance Feedback for Content-Based Image Retrieval. WIPO Patent Application WO/2011/001331, International Class G06F17/30, filing date 23-June-2010, publication date 06-Jan-2011.
- E. Yoruk, K. Oner, C. B. Akgul. An Efficient Hough Transform for Multi-Instance Object Recognition and Pose Estimation.In 23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2016), Cancun, Mexico, Dec 4-8, 2016.
- S. Aslan, C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, and E. T. Turhanli. SymPaD: Symbolic Patch Descriptor.In 10th International Joint Conference on Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics Theory and Applications (VISAPP 2015), Berlin, Germany, March 11-14, 2015.
- S. Aslan, C. B. Akgul, and B. Sankur. Semantic interest point detection for image classification and interpretation.In IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging 2014: Image Processing: Machine Vision Applications VII, 2014.
- O. Celiktutan, C. B. Akgul, C. Wolf and B. Sankur. Graph-Based Analysis of Physical Exercise Actions. In 1st ACM MM Workshop on Multimedia Indexing and information Retrieval for Healthcare: held in conjuction with ACM MM 2013, Barcelona, Spain, October 21-25, 2013.
- N. B. Marvasti, C. B. Akgul, N. Kökciyan, S. Üsküdarli, P. Yolum, R. Turkay, B. Bakir and B. Acar. Clinical Experience Sharing by Similarity Case Retrieval. In 1st ACM MM Workshop on Multimedia Indexing and information Retrieval for Healthcare: held in conjuction with ACM MM 2013, Barcelona, Spain, October 21-25, 2013.
- C. Sari, C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur.Combination of Gross Shape Features, Fourier Descriptors and Multiscale Distance Matrix for Leaf Recognition. In 55th International Symposium ELMAR-2013, Zadar, Croatia, September 25-27, 2013.
- F. Negin, F. Ozdemir, C. B. Akgul, K. A. Yüksel, A. Ercil. A Decision Forest Based Feature Selection Framework for Action Recognition from RGB-Depth Cameras. In International Conference on Image Analysis and Recognition / Special Session: Recent Advances on RGB-D Camera Applications, Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal, June 26-28, 2013.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Acar. Future PACS for decision support: content-based case retrieval. In International Hospital Vol 38, March/April 2012.
- A. Sokmenoglu, C. B. Akgul. Exploring the Patterns and Trends of Socio-spatial Activities of Architecture Student Community in Istanbul by Data Mining. In Proc. of the eCAADe Conf., Zurich, Switzerland, September 2010.
- C. B. Akgul, A. Ekin. A Probabilistic Information Fusion Approach to MR-Based Automated Diagnosis of Dementia. In Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2010.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez. Correspondence-Free Alignment of 3D Object Models. In SPIE Conf. on 3D Image Processing (3DIP) and Applications, San Jose, USA, January 2010.
- C. B. Akgul, D. Unay, A. Ekin. Automated Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease using Image Similarity and User Feedback. In ACM CIVR'09, Santorini, Greece, July 2009.
- A. Godil, H. Dutagaci, C. B. Akgul et al. SHREC 2009 ?Generic Shape Retrieval Contest. In Eurographics Workshop on 3D Object Retrieval, I. Pratikakis, M. Spagnuolo, T. Theoharis, and R. Veltkamp (Editors), March 2009.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. Similarity Score Fusion by Ranking Risk Minimization for 3D Object Retrieval. In Eurographics Workshop on 3D Object Retrieval, Crete, Greece, April 2008. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, F. Schmitt, Y. Yemez. Multivariate Density-Based 3D Shape Descriptors. In IEEE Shape Modeling International'07, Lyon, France, June 2007. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, F. Schmitt, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez. Multivariate Density-Based 3D Shape Descriptors. In SHREC 2007: Shape Retrieval Contest, Technical Report UU-CS-2007-015, R.C. Veltkamp and F. B. ter Haar (Editors), June 2007.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. Improving Efficiency of Density-Based Shape Descriptors for 3D Object Retrieval. In MIRAGE?7, Springer LNCS Series, vol. 4418, pp. 330-340, INRIA Rocquencourt, France, March 2007.
- D. Lesage, J. Darbon, C. B. Akgul. An Efficient Algorithm for Connected Attribute Thinnings and Thickenings. In ISVC'06, Springer LNCS Series, vol. 4292, pp. 393-404, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA, November 2006. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, F. Schmitt, Y. Yemez. Density-based Shape Descriptors for 3D Object Retrieval. In MRCS'06, Springer LNCS Series, vol. 4105, pp. 322-329, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2006.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, Y. Yemez, F. Schmitt. A Framework for Histogram-Induced 3D Descriptors. In EUSIPCO'06, Florence, Italy, September 2006.
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, A. Akin. Extraction of cognitive activity related waveforms from functional near infrared signals. In EUSIPCO'06, Florence, Italy, September 2006. [ pdf ]
- J. Darbon, C. B. Akgul. An Efficient Algorithm for Attribute Openings and Closings. In EUSIPCO'05, Antalya, Turkey, September 2005. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul, B. Sankur, A. Akin. Evidence of cognitive activity in functional near infrared spectroscopy signal. In OSA Optical Techniques in Neuroscience Topical Meeting, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, April 2004. [ pdf ]
- E. Yörük, C. B. Akgul. Color image segmentation using fast watersheds and PDE-based regularization. In IEEE SIU'04, Cesme, Turkey, April 2004. [ pdf ]
- C. B. Akgul. Computer-assisted Fish Recognition from Underwater Images. In 7th Underwater Science and Technology Meeting, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey, December 2003.
- U. E. Emir, C. B. Akgul, A. Akin, A. Ertüzün, B. Sankur, K. Harmanci. Wavelet Denoising vs. ICA Denoising for Functional Optical Imaging. In Int. Conf. on Neural Engineering, Capri, Italy, March 2003.